About Me

My photo
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
To know me is to feel my aura...you must be an intense person to understand me. I need poetry the way I need love, I need love to live. I love the rain because it inspires me. I aim to live a content life and enjoy the fruit of hard work. I believe that hard work paves our future. One cannot wish for a companion just to live, I believe that an empire can be built by two strong individual as long as the loyalty and interest have met their equilibrium to co-exist. I think life is simply lived at it's best when we simply learn to appreciate and love every moment we have living.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What makes an EE (Excellent Employee) Linked discussion forum

Hello Readers, Lovers, Haters and Stalkers,

The following paragraphs consist of 1, 978 words that were collaborated by my heart, my curious yet opinionated mind, and my ability to express my thoughts so freely.

I love browsing Linked for everything that the site has. I mean you get to network with businesses, learn new skills that you can aim to achieve, and promote yourself and your business. My love for writing and my opinionated personality linked me to a discussion on "What makes an Excellent Employee". For those of you who knew me, you already know how I feel about this. Anyways, the following entries are what I've posted.

Entry One:

What defines an excellent employee? I can only speak for myself but I think one must have a career mind to be successful. If an employee is only focused on just “getting that paper” their performance is distinctively different in comparison to someone, like myself, who is career driven. The drive, dedication and loyalty will be grossly different too.

I always use the quote by Aristotle: “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit”. What defines an excellent worker? Is it someone who does the job behind the scene and not demand proper compensation? Or is it someone who performs at a mediocre level and is favored based on personality? I think everyone tend to forget that any employee initially applies for a job and with the promise to perform to his/her best ability. Employers in turn promises proper salary compensation based on qualifications, experiences, and actual hands on performance. Unfortunately, this type of review fade in the background as business schedule sometimes conflicts. But I believe that if everyone is well compensated accordingly, there will be a balanced relationship between employer and the employee.

A successful company can only be as strong as it’s employee that represents them, or does the work, whether in the front end or behind the scenes administrations.

I am guilty of being a workaholic and willing to take on any project and provide excellent quality but I do wait for the proper compensation or promise of raise. No one wants to work for free, that is a fact. And when your employee’s performance decreases you might want to review if you have compensated them properly in the past.

I’ve seen many employees and or workers from different companies, who are EXCELLENT EMPLOYEES, resign because they are being taken for granted. How can any company allow their best performers and their “dream team” detoriates by neglecting the simple calculations of performance = proper salary compensations. How much? Well, let’s look at the actual worth of the company. It’s easy to just hire newbie who will settle for less pay, but the amount of time wasted on training new ones, instead or properly compensating your current best performers, is really a company’s lost. Time is money and let’s face it who wants to lose either one?

And to Steve Hoffman, the best ones are looking, but I think that they are overlooked because no one really adds blatantly “I’M THE BEST” on their resume...which I think they should. I’ve coached colleagues and friends on how they should perform at work and I know what qualities could make a great employee. But I’ve also witness BEST EMPLOYEES who changed due to mistreatment and lack of appreciation from upper managements.

We all have to look at ourselves and what we are willing to work for. I think HR, Hiring Manager, prior to hiring someone, should ask themselves “Would I perform all those duties for that salary?” BEST EMPLOYEE exist, how a company drives their loyalty and how they abide by the code of ethics of a company will depend on how they are being treated as a person and as a worker and how they are compensated for their hard work. Who wants to wear 10 different hats and not even get a simple appreciation of thanks or have “salary increase” promised only to never see it on your pay stabs?

If your employees are dropping like flies…the upper management needs to be put under microscope because employee neglect can and will lead to lower staff which causes the quality of client service to decrease. This can only lead to misfortunes in the future.

Entry Two:

Bottom line great employees are the ones that are never recognized and become bitter. They are usually underpaid and those who many of you call "mediocre" workers (some are even relatives of the UPPER MANAGEMENTS) get away with "delegating" a job and then taking full credit for the EEs work. Unbelievable!!!!

I've seen this happen. I've seen managers ask their employees to do a report and then send that report to "their boss" and guess what? Replacing the EE's email signature with their email signature and inevitable the managers gets the credit. While the EE just sits and wait for proper compensation for all the years dedicated with the hope that the promised raise will eventually come. They tend to use the word "recession" a little too much and those of us that have this thing called "BILLS" are stuck between a hard place and a rock. It's an employers’ world, they know that people need money and they take full advantage of this. Its funny how "thank you" or proper acknowledgments are MIA in many organizations. What happened to those employers who truly appreciate their employees?

I'm one of those EE and I have to tell you that if there's a company out there who wants a dedicated, hard working, and career oriented employee and you know how to appreciate a hard working employee...contact me! :)

I invite ALL of you to join my network as well because I absolutely love all of your thoughts and your opinions!

Entry Three:
I don't believe that people who are stays at the job they hare deserves to get nothing because they chose to stay. No one leaves a solid ground for unstable unknown. So they stick around until a better job is found, THAT's the responsible way. This has no similar relations to dating. In a perfect world you can quit any job and get a high paying job just like that, but unfortunately that is just not the case. Bread and butter don't come along as easy as it was back in good ol'days.

What made you, Gisela McKay, think that those who are unhappy at their current situations deserve to have blessings pass them by? Everyone has their own stories and reasons, I'd like to think no one woke up and said "hmmm I'm just going to let things pass me by and I can rush my bottom dollar down the hole"

It all boils down to mutual respect and similar goal from both ends.

Entry Four:
We all have our own opinions and end of stick right?

My comments were out of frustration because I know there are enough employers out there but is it really the employers? Or is it the HR who handles the hiring?

What does an EE have to do to get notice? Does it involve kissing the behind and feet of those in charge? I always thought that working hard and doing the best that I would prove to my employer that what I indicated in my resume can be backed up by my actions. And reality hits that unless I am willing to kiss arse, be the coffee delivery person, or the silent one I WILL NEVER see the promised raise.

I'm sorry Gisela but I didn't mean to make you feel attacked. I was just typing away my thoughts. But it's really frustrating when people in general assume that people are at the bottom by choice. It's really not the case for all of us. We work hard and we have bills to pay and leaving is not an easy option. I am actively looking but sometimes hiring managers tend to look at those whose salary expectations are lower. Or they only want to hire on a P/T basis without possibility of getting benefits.

How do you leave a bad situation for a worst one?

But I don't give up my hopes of building a career in my future...but I will continue to provide my current employer nothing less than excellent results because I was brought up to always give my best.

Entry Five:

"Decision makers don't notice you if you don't do anything to get their attention...good or bad, as long as you get their attention" (quote from one of the group members)

This is my reply:
If someone who is supposed to be “the decision makers” only pays attention to those who jumps up and down in front of their faces and fails to acknowledge the rest who don’t, I think that person is not the right person for the job. In order to be the “decision maker” I always thought that they need to be aware and know everything in order to make the proper decision. How can anyone in that position "decide" the future or a company if they fail to know the past and the present?

Just because someone is “loud” does not mean that they are right for any “recommendation” as opposed to someone who is “quiet” but perform their job above expectations.

Why would my need to be compensated rightfully have to depend on deciding to do “either bad or good”? My job responsibility is not about JUMPING in front of my boss and making her notice me like a child. It is highly applauded for. I take care of what needs to be done in order to ensure that my boss doesn’t have to deal with, that’s what I was hired for which is TO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS and only FLAG her when an escalation that I don’t have an authority to approve comes up. You know “able to work well independently with minimal to zero supervision. Do I need to put a flag on my desk asking for to be noticed like a child? No. I don’t agree with that. Human Resource has time lines to follow in regards to providing

I am sure that EE’s are not requesting for some form of extravagant acknowledgement. If a management fails to provide an employee’s their right of reviews and raise, I think there’s a problem. Yes, due to the latest economic events both in the US & Canada, this process might have been slower or halted all together, but I think that failing to completely acknowledge your employees performance shows poor management in general.

I am sure that if you were in the under appreciated EE’s position you would think differently…somehow I question that because we are all different in regards to how we handle situations. BUT ultimately I think it depends on how you know your own management.

ALL EE’s either take it or leave. But what happens to finding an equilibrium resolution? If that’s how it should be, leave every difficult situation, I think the world would be in chaos and everyone would just play “musical jobs”. We might as well give up our rights all together.
It bothers me how anyone in the upper management tends to forget that they used to be at the bottom and forget how hard it is to demand equal rights when the doors are always shut.

TO ALL EE’s – regardless of all the assumptions by many, I think that for every door that shuts, another will open, when? Time will tell…but never let the quality of your work go down because it is always easier to acknowledge vices as opposed to a job well done. Two wrongs don’t make anything right…patience, determination and hard work will. IT might not be from the same employer but it will happen. If the whole world thinks the way some people do, with such negative assumptions, I think human rights for equality might as well bid adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment

See the world thru my eyes...

See the world thru my eyes...
My eyes can't lie...it sees every thing! It shows everything!